Monday, December 23, 2013

BAD DOG

     Bad Dog!!!  We've all said it at one point or anther to our beloved pooches, unless you don't own a dog, in which case I have one thing to say....GET A DOG!!!  They are great.  Seriously though, you've at least heard someone say it.  In fact it's probably the most common phrase directed towards canines next to "good dog".  I have used the phrase many times myself.  It dawned on me though that maybe my dog understood what I was saying.  I mean I would certainly hope that she did, after all I am speaking to her as if she does, expecting her to listen and to be obedient. 

     One day when I uttered the phrase, Bad Dog, she lowered her head in shame and pouted.  I couldn't help but to reevaluate what it was I was actually saying to her.  The precursor to her scolding was really not that big of a deal.  She got excited and knocked a glass from the table next to my couch.  I reflexively barked at her with those two words that no dog wants to hear.  I didn't tell her she did something wrong, didn't show my dog her mistake, nope, I just flat out told her, you are a bad dog

     Imagine if you made a mistake at work and someone came to you and said, you are a bad person.  I mean that's really harsh to be told you are not a good person because you made a mistake.  I know that dogs don't think like we do and they operate on a different level than humans, but its something to consider.  If you think your dog understands what your saying, maybe it's not the best way to say it.

2 comments:

  1. Bad person! Yeah, that doesn't sound right.
    Welcome to the blogging community, Jamie. There are some awesome writers and people here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never tell my dogs they're bad because they're never bad. They're a delight–even when someone eats half a cake or pees a river in the house.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete